Important Upcoming Dates:
- April 11th: Lenten Penance Service, 11:40am – 1pm
- April 13th: ½ day, Holy Thursday
- April 14th & 17th: No School, Easter Break
- April 21st & 22nd: Drama Production, “The Hallow”, 7pm
- April 25th: School Board Meeting, 6pm
- April 29th: Prom, 8pm-11pm
- May 6th: St. Benedict Parish Spring Clean Up (Tentative, all day)
- May 10th: Baccalaureate Mass, 7pm
- May 11th: Graduation, 7pm
- May 22nd-24th: Finals
- May 24th: Last Day of School
- May 25th-26th: Teacher Inservice
Principal’s Update: Our CSI teams busily worked this week to gather evidence, question suspects, and investigate the “crime” that occurred last week. They have even held a press conference that was live-streamed on Facebook! Good luck to our sleuths as they continue to try and identify the perpetrator.
Next week, we look forward to Holy Week, with a half day on Holy Thursday and no school on Good Friday. On Tuesday, we will hold a Lenten Penance Service during the day as we prepare our hearts and minds for the Triduum.
After Easter, St. Benedict Parish will begin Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament five days a week from 10am-10pm. Our theology courses will join St. Benedict parishioners in this Adoration during class time at least one day a week for the remainder of the school year.
Enjoy the sun and the warming weather and have a wonderful weekend!
Holy Thursday (April 13th) Schedule: School dismissal on Holy Thursday, April 13th will be at 12:20pm. The students will follow a Friday B schedule.
2017-18 School Calendar: Please see attachment.
Jador, Mrs. Craig’s classroom bunny: Jador is in need of a family to take care of him over Easter break. If you are interested, please let Mrs. Craig know.
Athena Camp Scholarship Program: Eligible applicants are high school girls who have finished their freshman year of high school through 18 years of age with an interest in business and entrepreneurship who live in the Anchorage area (Anchorage, Eagle River/Chugiak and Girdwood). A flyer with additional information is attached to Lumen News.
Drama Production: Lumen Christi’s Drama Department presents “The Hollow” by Agatha Christie at Grant Hall on APU Campus at the following days/times:
- Friday, April 21st at 7pm
- Saturday, April 22nd at 7pm
Tickets are currently on sale for $5 each at Lumen Christi’s office. Tickets at the door will be $7 each.
St. Benedict’s Spring Clean-up: May 6th is the tentative date scheduled for Spring Clean-up of the grounds surrounding St. Benedict’s and Lumen Christi. Mark your calendars and come on out to help. I will send more details about this event as we receive them. This would be a great way to complete any parent share hours or community service.
Tuition Assistance for the 2017-18 School Year: Lumen Christi High School works with Covenant Tuition Services (CTS) to determine eligibility for financial aid. Families who wish to apply for financial aid, please click on the following link: http://cts-tuition.com/app/lumancak The deadline for applications is July 15th, 2017.
Alaska Catholic Youth Conference (ACYC) 2017: ACYC will be held this year from June 5th-8th for all middle school and high school students. Online registration opens on April 17th. Early bird pricing is until May 1st for $99. After May 1st, pricing is $120. Please visit www.archdioceseofanchorage.org for registration and information.
Soccer Gear Drive: Sixth grader, Rowan, is organizing a soccer gear drive to help the support Anchorage’s refugee soccer team, The Fugees, through Catholic Social Services. If you have any new or gently used soccer gear you’d like to donate, please bring them to the school. If you do not have any soccer gear to donate but would like to help Rowan’s efforts in this soccer gear drive, monetary donations are also appreciated.
Prom: Prom will be on April 29th from 8pm-11pm at The Alaska Zoo. The Prom committee is looking for parent volunteers to help with set-up and clean-up, please contact the office if you are interested in helping with this.
Next Scrip Order Date: The next order deadline will be April 13th at 1pm. It’s a great time to purchase gift cards for graduation presents, household shopping, home improvement projects, and so much more. An order form is attached to Lumen News for your convenience or call Mrs. Estes and she can help you set-up your own account on Shopwithscrip.com
- This Sunday begins Holy Week. Triduum services: Attending Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday are a wonderful way to celebrate these holy days. Information on these services can be found on the Campus Ministry bulletin board.
- Check your parish bulletin or the Lumen Christi Ministry board for information on the Good Friday Faith Walk.
- St. Benedict Youth Ministry is holding a Holy Thursday retreat beginning Thursday evening and ending Friday with the Faith Walk. The walk begins at 8:00 a.m. Friday morning for all who would like to join.
- The Campus Ministry Team posts information for activities at all local Anchorage and Eagle River Churches. This can be found on the bulletin board outside room 121. If you have anything to add for your parish please email to Mrs. Loeffler or send it in with your teen.
- Please join us in the Gym each Friday of Lent for Stations of the Cross. We begin at 9:00 a.m.
- Looking for a great Lenten bond with your son or daughter? How about coming to 7:15 Mass once a week together at Lumen Christi, room 120? Mass is finished in time for students to have a few minutes before class begins at 7:45.
- Be on the lookout for Parish missions at both your your home Parishes and sister parishes. Parish Missions offer talks and interactive discussion with dynamic speakers on Faith. Missions generally run 4-5 sessions in one week. These are great times of Faith renewal and reflection for teens and adults.
- Have you considered taking an hour a week to be still with Christ in Adoration? St. Benedict will be holding Adoration Monday – Friday each week from 10am to 10pm in the Church, beginning April 17. Students and parents are invited to sign up for Eucharistic Adoration at your home Parish or at St. Benedict Parish.
- Please join our Ladies prayer group each Saturday morning at 10 a.m. in the Library. This is a great time of prayer and fellowship.
- Service hours at SEAS will not be held until the beginning of May. We will post the date in our next Lumen News.
- All students grades 6-8 are invited to St. Benedict’s Junior High youth group on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of each month at 6 p.m.
- Students who attend their home Parish’s Youth group can earn extra points in Theology Classes!
- We are looking for altar servers for school Mass! Catholic students who have never served to be trained here at school.
- Bob McMorrow will be hosting an informational meeting about World Youth Day on Sunday, April 30th at 3PM in the upper room at Lumen Christi School.
PVO President & Vice President: If you are interested in becoming our PVO President or Vice President, please see Mrs. Estes or Mr. Ross. If you think you might be interested but have questions, please let us know. We need to start looking forward to the next school year and it would be great to have PVO leadership in place before the end of the school year.
Parent Share Hour Opportunity: Our Lady of the Valley (OLV), a fellow Catholic School in Wasilla is having their Auction on April 22nd. For those parents who still need to complete their parent share hours, Mr. Ross will approve your volunteer hours to go towards your Lumen parent share hour requirement if you choose to sign up to help OLV’s auction. Each year a group of staff and teachers from OLV volunteer at Lumen’s Gala, so this will be a great way to give back while helping to support another Catholic school. OLV was very impressed with our high school students who volunteered at Lumen’s Gala and they would also love to have any high school student to help volunteer as well. If you and/or your high school student are interested, please talk to Mrs. Estes for details. Please note: This happens to be the same night as our second night of Drama Club’s performance of “The Hallow”. If you and/or your student choose to volunteer at OLV, maybe you will be able to catch Drama Club’s first performance on Friday the 21st.
Re-enrollment Packets: It’s not too late to turn in your re-enrollment packets. The commitment fee (also known as the application fee) has increased to $250. Please let Mrs. Estes know if you need another packet or if you have any questions.
Gala Gift Certificates Available for Purchase:
- Alaska’s Best Water & Coffee: This certificate is for 3 months cooler rental & bottled water delivery, up to four five gallon bottles per month. Expires February 2018. Purchase Price: $50.00 (Value: $150.00).
- UAA Gymnastics Meet: 4 Tickets: 2018 Season. Four tickets to a regular season home women’s gymnastics meet of your choice. Expires 3/31/2018 Purchase Price: $20.00 (Value: $48.00)
Parent Share Hours: Just a reminder to update your completed parent share hours in the book. We have seen many families actively volunteering but your family log sheet doesn’t reflect that. You may also email Mrs. Estes your completed hours and she will be more than happy to record them for you. In April, parent share hours will be assessed and any incomplete hours will be billed to your account at $35 per hour. Please let Mrs. Estes know if you have any questions.
Shoparoo: Shoparoo is an app in which you simply take photos of receipts on your smartphone and submit. Lumen then earns “Roo Points” which are converted at the end of the year into a donation to the school. Mrs. Estes and Mrs. Brewer both got this app on their phones and it is super easy and fun to use. Follow these simple steps after you download the app from either the App Store or on Google Play:
- SHOP: Shop for any product, at any store.
- SNAP: Take a picture of your receipt.
- EARN: Earn cash donations & sweepstakes entries