Important Upcoming Dates:
- April 5th: JH Testing Day
- April 11th: Lenten Penance Service, 11:40am – 1pm
- April 13th: ½ day, Holy Thursday
- April 14th & 17th: No School, Easter Break
- April 21st & 22nd: Drama Production, “The Hallow”, 7pm
- April 25th: School Board Meeting, 6pm
- April 29th: Prom, 8pm-11pm
- May 10th: Baccalaureate Mass, 7pm
- May 11th: Graduation, 7pm
- May 22nd-24th: Finals
- May 24th: Last Day of School
- May 25th-26th: Teacher Inservice
Principal’s Update: What a great week! We thank God for covering his creation with a fresh, beautiful blanket of snow and for giving our students an unexpected break from school on Wednesday! As we continue our Lenten resolutions of prayer, sacrifice, and almsgiving, we will walk and remember the Stations of the Cross on the next two Fridays at 9am in the gym. In addition, our Big A and Little A students are conducting an Easter Basket drive for children from the Clare House and Student Government is supporting the Knights of Columbus from St. Benedict Parish in their “40 Cans for Lent” canned food drive. If your son or daughter asks you to go to the store to buy Easter Basket materials or canned food, you can know that he or she is actively participating in Lenten almsgiving. We appreciate your support in these events.
Finally, as you walk through school, you may notice “CRIME SCENE” tape blocking certain locations in the building. DO NOT BE ALARMED! The students from Ms. Brewer’s Forensics Science class are playing Crime Scene Investigators (CSI) and putting into practice all the techniques for evidence gathering and handling that they have learned this semester. Good luck in finding the culprit!
JH Testing Days: JH testing will take place on April 5th, during 4th and 5th period. Please have your child arrive to school on time and eat a good breakfast. This year, we will be administering the PSAT 8/9 test instead of the Terra Nova test. You can learn more about the PSAT 8/9 at https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-8-9.
2017-18 School Calendar: Please see attachment.
Tuition Assistance for the 2017-18 School Year: Lumen Christi High School works with Covenant Tuition Services (CTS) to determine eligibility for financial aid. Families who wish to apply for financial aid, please click on the following link: http://cts-tuition.com/app/lumancak The deadline for applications is July 15th, 2017.
Drama Production: Lumen Christi’s Drama Department presents “The Hollow” by Agatha Christie at Grant Hall on APU Campus at the following days/times:
- Friday, April 21st at 7pm
- Saturday, April 22nd at 7pm
Tickets are currently on sale for $5 each at Lumen Christi’s office. Tickets at the door will be $7 each.
Soccer Gear Drive: Sixth grader, Rowan, is organizing a soccer gear drive to help the support Anchorage’s refugee soccer team, The Fugees, through Catholic Social Services. If you have any new or gently used soccer gear you’d like to donate, please bring them to the school. If you do not have any soccer gear to donate but would like to help Rowan’s efforts in this soccer gear drive, monetary donations are also appreciated.
Prom: Prom will be on April 29th from 8pm-11pm at The Alaska Zoo. The Prom committee is looking for parent volunteers to help with set-up and clean-up, please contact the office if you are interested in helping with this.
Next Scrip Order Date: The next order deadline will be April 13th at 3pm. If you’d like to place an order or create an account, please contact Jessica Estes at the front office and she will help you out.
- The Campus Ministry Team posts information for activities at all local Anchorage and Eagle River Churches. This can be found on the bulletin board outside room 121. If you have anything to add for your parish please email to Mrs. Loeffler or send it in with your teen.
- Please join us in the Gym each Friday of Lent for Stations of the Cross. We begin at 9:00 a.m.
- Looking for a great Lenten bond with your son or daughter? How about coming to 7:15 Mass once a week together at Lumen Christi, room 120? Mass is finished in time for students to have a few minutes before class begins at 7:45.
- Be on the lookout for Parish missions at both your your home Parishes and sister parishes. Parish Missions offer talks and interactive discussion with dynamic speakers on Faith. Missions generally run 4-5 sessions in one week. These are great times of Faith renewal and reflection for teens and adults.
- Our next Parent Discussion Group is this Sunday, April 2’ from 4:00 – 5:45 in room 109. Our Topic is Social Media. We hope to see you there!
- Have you considered taking an hour a week to be still with Christ in Adoration? St. Benedict will be holding Adoration Monday – Friday each week from 10am to 10pm in the Church, beginning April 17. Students and parents are invited to sign up for Eucharistic Adoration at your home Parish or at St. Benedict Parish.
- Please join our Ladies prayer group each Saturday morning at 10 a.m. in the Library. This is a great time of prayer and fellowship.
- Does your student still need service hours? Remember SEAS service on Friday afternoons. Students can sign up on the hall bulletin board here at Lumen. Parents are also welcome to email Liz at firstname.lastname@example.org or call Lumen’s main office for parent sign up!
- All students grades 6-8 are invited to St. Benedict’s Junior High youth group on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of each month at 6 p.m.
- Students who attend their home Parish’s Youth group can earn extra points in Theology Classes!
- We are looking for altar servers for school Mass! Catholic students who have never served to be trained here at school.
- Looking ahead: World Youth Day is January 22-27, 2019 in Panama. Watch your Parish bulletin for updates.
Parent Share Hour Opportunity: Our Lady of the Valley (OLV), a fellow Catholic School in Wasilla is having their Auction on April 22nd. For those parents who still need to complete their parent share hours, Mr. Ross will approve your volunteer hours to go towards your Lumen parent share hour requirement if you choose to sign up to help OLV’s auction. Each year a group of staff and teachers from OLV volunteer at Lumen’s Gala, so this will be a great way to give back while helping to support another Catholic school. OLV was very impressed with our high school students who volunteered at Lumen’s Gala and they would also love to have any high school student to help volunteer as well. If you and/or your high school student are interested, please talk to Mrs. Estes for details. Please note: This happens to be the same night as our second night of Drama Club’s performance of “The Hallow”. If you and/or your student choose to volunteer at OLV, maybe you will be able to catch Drama Club’s first performance on Friday the 21st.
Reminder-Re-enrollment Packets are Due: Re-enrollment packets have been sent home with your children and if you have any questions, please let me know. There have been a few questions about enrollment fees which are usually highlighted on the financial agreement which will come out later. As a reminder of what those fees are, there is a commitment fee of $100.00 and the book & technology fee which is $300.00 (after March 31st the commitment fee will increase to $250.00). If your packet is missing, please let Mrs. Estes know and she will prepare another one for you.
Gala Gift Certificates Available for Purchase:
- Dimond Tuxedo Rental: The Gala has one $150.00 gift certificate from Dimond Tuxedo for a tuxedo rental available for purchase for only $50.00. Prom is coming up!! Any takers? If you are interested, you may purchase from the office.
- Alaska’s Best Water & Coffee: This certificate is for 3 months cooler rental & bottled water delivery, up to four five gallon bottles per month. Expires February 2018. Purchase Price: $50.00 (Value: $150.00).
- UAA Gymnastics Meet: 4 Tickets: 2018 Season. Four tickets to a regular season home women’s gymnastics meet of your choice. Expires 3/31/2018 Purchase Price: $20.00 (Value: $48.00)
- Pioneers of Alaska Scholarship: Scholarships are available for graduating seniors who have a family member who is/was a member of the Anchorage Pioneers of Alaska (Men’s Igloo #15 or Women’s Igloo #4). See Mrs. Brewer for the forms.
- Additional Scholarships: Please visit the following link to additional scholarships: http://www.asdk12.org/counseling/scholarships/
PVO President & Vice President: If you are interested in becoming our PVO President or Vice President, please see Mrs. Estes or Mr. Ross. If you think you might be interested but have questions, please let us know. We need to start looking forward to the next school year and it would be great to have PVO leadership in place before the end of the school year.
Parent Share Hours: Just a reminder to update your completed parent share hours in the book. We have seen many families actively volunteering but your family log sheet doesn’t reflect that. You may also email Mrs. Estes your completed hours and she will be more than happy to record them for you. In April, parent share hours will be assessed and any incomplete hours will be billed to your account at $35 per hour. Please let Mrs. Estes know if you have any questions.
Shoparoo: Shoparoo is an app in which you simply take photos of receipts on your smartphone and submit. Lumen then earns “Roo Points” which are converted at the end of the year into a donation to the school. Mrs. Estes and Mrs. Brewer both got this app on their phones and it is super easy and fun to use. Follow these simple steps after you download the app from either the App Store or on Google Play:
- SHOP: Shop for any product, at any store.
- SNAP: Take a picture of your receipt.
- EARN: Earn cash donations & sweepstakes entries
Link to Signup.com: Below is a link where you will find all of Lumen’s current signups in one spot.