Important Upcoming Dates:
- Apr 5th: Open House and Family Pizza Night, 6-8pm
- April 11th: PSAT-JH Testing
- April 17th: School Board Meeting, 6pm
- April 17th: Archbishop Etienne Listening Session about Catholic Schools, 7pm
- April 20th & 21st: Lumen’s Drama Production, 7pm at Grant Hall, APU Campus
- April 24th: PVO Meeting, 7pm
- April 28th: Junior/Senior Prom
- May 9th: Baccalaureate Mass, 7pm
- May 10th: Graduation, 7pm
- May 21st, 22nd, 23rd: Finals
- May 24th & 25th: Teacher Inservice
From the Principal:
CHRIST IS RISEN! CHRIST IS RISEN INDEED! These are the words our students heard from Father Tom today at Mass, and words that all Christians around the world rejoice in saying and hearing. We hope your Easter weekend was a blessed one!
Please mark your calendars for two important upcoming events in April. First, the Archbishop of Anchorage Paul Etienne will be at St. Benedict Parish on Tuesday, April 17th, at 7pm for a “listening session” on Catholic schools in the Archdiocese. If you want your voice heard and express your thoughts about Catholic education, please plan on attending this event in the Parish Hall. As the Archbishop has said, this is not a time for complaining or to ask questions, but rather an opportunity to hear from YOU, the parents and community members of Lumen Christi.
Second, our Drama Club is putting on their production on April 20th and 21st. The cast and crew has been hard at work for the past school year and are looking forward to the big show. Please purchase your tickets from a cast member and plan to support this important annual event highlighting the skills and talents of many of our students.
We look forward to seeing you!
Congratulations!! Senior All-Star Game: A big congratulations to both Maeve Bakic and Andrew Bennett who were chosen to compete in the Alaska Association of Basketball Coaches Senior All-Star Games. The games will take place at UAA in the Wells Fargo gym (not the Alaska Airlines Center). Unfortunately Maeve is unable to participate but we are so proud of her accomplishments. The boys All-Star game that Andrew Bennett is participating in is at 3:45pm. Please come out and cheer him on.
Listening Sessions with Archbishop Etienne: Archbishop Etienne is interested in hearing from as many people as possible about our mission as a Church here in the Archdiocese of Anchorage. Please see the attached flyer for schedule and locations. The Archbishop will have a special listening session to hear about our Archdiocesan Catholic schools here at St. Benedict’s on Tuesday, April 17th at 7pm. Please see the separate flyer for the Catholic Schools session for more information.
Calling Senior Parents!! Graduation Slide Show: Yearbook is putting together a slideshow for graduation with photos of the graduates. If you have any photos from either their childhood or young adulthood and would like to feature them in the slideshow, please send them to Mrs. Spillers (email@example.com) by April 30th.
Deadline Extended-2018-19 SY Registration Packets: Registration packets were sent home before Spring Break. Please let Mrs. Estes know asap if your student has not given you the packet. Be sure to turn in your packets and the $100.00 commitment fee before 4/13/18. Commitment fees paid after 4/13/18 will increase from $100.00 to $250.00. If you have any questions, please let us know.
Deadline Approaching-Parent Share Hours: Please update your parent share hours by recording them in the book or by emailing details to Mrs. Estes no later than April 11th. Mrs. Estes will give our Business Manager, Danna Hoellering a list of incomplete hours. Incomplete parent share hours will be billed to your Smart Tuition account in May. If you complete volunteer hours after April 11th, please let Mrs. Estes know and Danna will make adjustments to your Smart Tuition account. Please Note: The PVO section of this newsletter has a list of opportunities for you to complete your share hours. We still need help for the remainder of the year at the Archangel Attic and Concessions/Gate. Also we are looking to fill important positions for next year, please prayerfully consider volunteering for one of them.
Fun Night Out with Friends-Trivia Night!: Gather your friends (Adults 21 and over) for an evening of fun and friendly competition on Friday, April 13 at the first ever Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton School Trivia Night.
- • $120 per team table (maximum of 8 per team)
- • Cash bar courtesy of Avenue Bar
- • Buy food from Yeti Dogs and Pikiniki Alaska Food Truck or bring your own!
- • $250 Grand Prize + more chances to win!
The Miki Gym opens at 6pm and games begin at 7pm. All proceeds support Catholic education! Tables are limited – book yours today at the St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School front office, in person or by calling 345-3712. Please see the attached flyer for more information.
Lumen’s Drama Production of “And Came the Spring”: Our play is Friday, April 20 and Saturday, April 21st at Grant Hall on APU campus, at 7:00 pm on both nights. Tickets are $5.00 if you pay early and $7.00 at the door. Tickets go on sale on April 3rd. Tickets can be purchased from any drama student or at the front office.
Pickle Jars Needed-Junior-Senior Prom: Lumen’s Junior-Senior Prom will be on April 28th. Michell Goodwin is organizing details for decorations and is in need of 8 empty pickle jars approximately the 32oz size. We will also need volunteers to help decorate, set-up and clean-up. Please let us (or Michell Goodwin) know if you are able to help.
JH Testing-PSAT: Please note the date has changed from what our calendar says for JH testing. Our new testing date will be on April 11th. 7th & 8th grade classes will have testing first thing in the morning. It is really important for your student to eat a good breakfast and arrive to school on time. Students will not be allowed into the testing area once it has begun.
2018-19 School Calendar: Attached to Lumen News is the 2018-19 school calendar.
Calling All Photographers!: Do you have any great pictures of your students playing sports or participating in extra-curricular activities? Although our Yearbook team tries to be at as many events as possible, we can’t be everywhere. Please send any pictures you have to Mrs. Spillers, so that we can try to include them in the yearbook. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
ACYC 2018: ACYC will take place from June 3-6th. Registration opens on April 1, 2018. Click the following link for more information: https://www.archdioceseofanchorage.org/?s=acyc&submit=Search
Knights of Columbus-Bison Hunt: The 2018 Kodiak Bison Hunt Raffle is underway. Purchase a raffle ticket from Knights of Columbus at your Parish for your chance to win a guided hunt on “Kodiak Game Ranch” OR $3500 CASH.
- Tickets are $20 each-Tickets are transferable-Need not be present to win
- One drawing for each 1300 tickets sold!
- Proceeds benefit Knight of Columbus charitable works in Alaska
- Drawing to be held at Alaska State Convention in Juneau, Alaska on April 28, 2018
All are invited to join us for Mass at 7:15 a.m. Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays in our School Chapel!
- Congratulations to Falon for entering the Catholic Church at Easter Vigil Mass.
- Please sign up for service at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School. Each Friday 4 students are needed to help in classrooms from 12:30-2:30. Students please sign up in the main hallway.
- Sign up sheets for Friday service hours at The Archangel Attic can be found on the bulletin board across from the school office. Students please sign up!!
- All eligible students are invited to be trained as altar servers for our school Masses. Interested students please see Mrs. Loeffler.
- If you know of a worthy cause in need of volunteers let us know so we can get the word out!
(prayer requests can be sent to Liz Loeffler – email@example.com)
Please Pray for:
- Safety for all students
- Victims and their families of the Florida shooting
- Our local, state, national, world, and Church leaders
- Comfort to the families of those who have passed away, especially the sister of Marcy Adkins
- Those who are lacking adequate food and shelter, especially during this winter season
- Respect for all life
The Attic needs your help 5-7 pm on Fridays in April!! The Attic is 100% run by volunteers, donates 100% of the money earned to our school and it adds up to over $100,000 a year!
Help needed APRIL 13, APRIL 20 and APRIL 27th 5-7 pm shifts. Please sign up! http://signup.com/go/cVMeBzw
Junior High Indoor Soccer- April 6th & April 14th- http://signup.com/go/kbSOjLi
Please consider taking a leadership role in 2018-19.
- PVO President (Danielle will be serving as one of the Gala Co-Chairs next year)
- PVO Secretary/Sign Up
- Special Events Concession Stand Helper
Our next and Final PVO Meeting of the year will be Tuesday, April 24th at 7pm. (Please note the date change.) Please join us to look back over this school year and start planning for the 2018-19 school year.
If you have any questions or can help with any of these roles please contact Danielle- firstname.lastname@example.org or 227-7080.