Important Upcoming Dates:
- April 20th & 21st: Lumen’s Drama Production, 7pm at Grant Hall, APU Campus
- April 24th: Science Day at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School
- April 24th: PVO Meeting, 7pm
- April 28th: Junior/Senior Prom
- May 5th: St. Benedict/Lumen Christi Spring Clean Up, 8am-2pm
- May 9th: Baccalaureate Mass, 7pm
- May 10th: Graduation, 7pm
- May 21st, 22nd, 23rd: Finals
- May 23rd: Last Day of School
- May 24th & 25th: Teacher Inservice
From the Principal:
Each week, I try to highlight as many of the blessings of Lumen as possible. One of the greatest blessings we have is the opportunity to attend weekly Mass and celebrate the Eucharist, the source and summit of our Christian life (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1324). On Thursdays, we are able to pray together as a community with the parishioners of St. Benedict at the 9am Mass. Every other day of the week, our students have the option of attending Mass at 7:15am before school.
Starting next week, I’d like to expand this blessing outward and take a small contingent of our students to celebrate Mass at other parishes within the Archdiocese during this time. Our Lady of Guadalupe, Holy Cross, St. Anthony’s, and St. Elizabeth Ann Seton all have a 9am daily Mass. Our small group of students, preferably one from each class = 6 total plus a staff member, will take our Lumen bus over to one of the parishes each week and celebrate the Mass with that faith community on a rotational basis. We will start next Thursday with the 9am Mass at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton. Our Campus Minister, Mrs. Loeffler, will be soliciting volunteers initially, but eventually all our students will get the chance to attend weekly Mass at another parish instead of St. Benedict’s. I think this is important for several reasons:
This gets our students into the Archdiocesan community and allows them to see and experience the faith commitment of others outside of Lumen/St. Benedicts.
These parishes support our school through the “Lighting the Path to the Future” development effort. Having our students attend their daily Mass on Thursdays shows our support to their parish community and gives us an opportunity to say thank you in our actions, if not also our words.
The majority of our students will continue to celebrate Mass on Thursdays here at St. Benedict’s. For those half dozen students going elsewhere each week, they will serve as our Lumen Ambassadors to the Archdiocesan parishes. Each student will complete a field trip form with your signature and will be expected to be in proper school uniform before travel.
I’ll share my thoughts with the students on Monday, but I wanted to let you know my ideas beforehand. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have questions. I hope to make this a volunteer effort for the remainder of this school year, with a more formal program involving all students next fall.
This Weekend-Lumen’s Drama Production of “And Came the Spring”: Our play is Friday,April 20 and Saturday, April 21st at Grant Hall on APU campus, at 7:00 pm on both nights. Tickets are $5.00 if you pay early and $7.00 at the door. Tickets go on sale on April 3rd. Tickets can be purchased from any drama student or at the front office.
Next Weekend-Prom: Lumen’s Junior-Senior Prom will be on Saturday, April 28th from 8-11pm at Viking Hall. Tickets are on sale in the office. Single ticket: $45, Couple Ticket: $80. Volunteers are still needed for Prom set-up and clean-up. Please visit the following link to sign up: http://signup.com/go/DPeWiTS
Pickle Jars Needed-Junior-Senior Prom: Michell Goodwin is organizing details for decorations and is in need of 8 empty pickle jars approximately the 32oz size. You may bring the jars to the office.
Next Week-Spirit Week: Next week leading up to Prom, Student Government is organizing Spirit Week. If your son or daughter chooses to not participate in the themes of Spirit Week, they are to wear their uniforms instead. Below are the details:
- Monday 4/23: Hawaiian Day
- Tuesday 4/24: Superhero vs. Villian Day
- Wednesday 4/25: Meme Day
- Thursday 4/26: No dress up theme…Mass day, please wear school uniform
- Friday 4/27: Spirit of Space
HELP NEEDED!-PVO: Please prayerfully consider being a part of PVO next year. We are looking for President, Vice-President and Secretary. Danielle Rybicki has done a fabulous job this year and has decided take on the Gala Co-Chair position next year. If you have questions on what the job(s) entails, please contact the office or Danielle Rybicki and we will be happy to talk details with you.
Important-Parent Survey: Please take a moment to complete our parent survey. Each year we strive to have all of our parents fill out this survey which helps us continue to improve. Thank you in advance for taking a few moments to fill it out. http://bit.ly/surveyparent2018
On Sale-Next Week: The school has an over abundance of school uniform pieces. Normally each gently used item is $5 each but we would like to reduce them to $3 each so please come check it out. Mrs. Estes will have a table set up just outside the front office.
St. Benedict’s Spring Clean-up: Come help make St. Benedicts and Lumen Christi’s grounds look beautiful!! Spring Clean-up on will be on May 5th from 8am-2pm. This is a great way to help out and you may also earn parent share hours and community service for helping too.
Baccalaureate Mass: Join us on May 9th for our Seniors’ Baccalaureate Mass. It will be held at St. Benedict’s Church at 7pm with a reception immediately following Mass.
Graduation: Everyone is invited to come celebrate our Seniors as they graduate on May 10th in Lumen Christi’s gym at 7pm. We are very proud of them and wish each of the very best!
Calling Senior Parents!! Graduation Slide Show: Yearbook is putting together a slideshow for graduation with photos of the graduates. If you have any photos from either their childhood or young adulthood and would like to feature them in the slideshow, please send them to Mrs. Spillers (firstname.lastname@example.org) by April 30th.
Tuition Assistance for the 2018-19 SY: For those wishing to apply for tuition assistance, please click on the following link and complete the application through Covenant Tuition Services no later than July 13, 2018. http://cts-tuition.com/app/lumancak Please let us know if you have any questions.
Tax Cut and Jobs Act: Congress recently passed tax reform measures which now permits qualified education expenses to include elementary schools and secondary schools, not just college. Parents and grandparents can now use tax saving “529” plans to fund education at Lumen Christi. Here are two websites with information on how families can take advantage of this new opportunity:
Italian Dinner and Auction: All are invited to attend the next Italian feast and auction to benefit students going to World Youth Day. It will be on Saturday, April 28th at 6PM. It will include 8 courses:
- stuffed mushrooms
- homemade pasta
Tickets are 30 dollars, kids 6-13 are 15 dollars, 5 and under are free. The Auction will feature both live and silent auctions, more details coming soon. The dinner will be in the church basement at St. Benedict, 8110 Jewel Lake Road. Invite your friends and family for a night of great food and fellowship! Let Bob McMorrow know how many tickets you want and he will set them aside for you. Tickets will be on sale after all St. Benedict’s Masses.
New Uniform Company-Tommy Hilfiger: As mentioned at our State of the School Address, we have been working with Tommy Hilfiger as another school uniform option for our Lumen families. Tommy Hilfiger is offering daily school uniforms, PE uniforms, staffwear, and some Lumen Wear. You can access the site by clicking on the following link and searching for Lumen Christi https://www.globalschoolwear.com There are a couple changes on the site that are being ironed out and are highlighted below but the site as a whole is ready to go and you may order at anytime.
- Under the “Spiritwear” section, the embroidered logo option, “Staff” will be removed and only available under “Staffwear”.
- Under the “Spiritwear” section, there will be an embroidered option “Lu-Mom” added soon so stay tuned.
- Under the 12th grade daily uniform section, the burgundy color sweaters are currently not available but will be soon. It is a new color for the sweaters and will be added to the inventory for the coming school year. I will keep you posted on this once they are available.
Please let Mrs. Estes know if you have any questions while using this site. We will no longer be using Parker Uniforms as a uniform source but we are still using Lands End.
Calling All Photographers!: Do you have any great pictures of your students playing sports or participating in extra-curricular activities? Although our Yearbook team tries to be at as many events as possible, we can’t be everywhere. Please send any pictures you have to Mrs. Spillers, so that we can try to include them in the yearbook. E-mail: email@example.com
ACYC 2018: ACYC will take place from June 3-6th. Registration opens on April 1, 2018. Click the following link for more information: https://www.archdioceseofanchorage.org/?s=acyc&submit=Search
All are invited to join us for Mass at 7:15 a.m. Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays in our School Chapel!
- Campus Ministry is planning service projects for the 2018-19 school year. Please contact Mrs. Loeffler with ideas you might have!
- Pease sign up for service at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School. Each Friday 4 students are needed to help in classrooms from 12:30-2:30. Students please sign up in the main hallway.
- Sign up sheets for Friday service hours at The Archangel Attic can be found on the bulletin board across from the school office. Students please sign up!!
- All eligible students are invited to be trained as altar servers for our school Masses. Interested students please see Mrs. Loeffler.
- If you know of a worthy cause in need of volunteers let us know so we can get the word out!
(prayer requests can be sent to Liz Loeffler – firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please Pray for:
- For the the repose of the souls of the Humboldt coach and hockey team and for comfort to their families. May they rest in Christ’s loving peace.
- Our local, state, national, world, and Church leaders
- Those who are lacking adequate food and shelter
- Respect for all life
Please join us next Tuesday, April 24th at 7pm for the Final PVO Meeting of the year.
We will be looking back over this school year and start planning for the 2018-19 school year.
Help needed this Friday APRIL 20th- ALL SHIFTS and next Friday, APRIL 27th 5-7 pm shift. Please sign up! http://signup.com/go/cVMeBzw
- The athletic season for the concession stand has come to an end. A big THANK YOU to Ed Klem for stepping up and helping out with the concession stand!
- We are looking for one or two people to help out with special events for the concession stand for the next school year.
Please consider taking a leadership role in 2018-19
- PVO President (Danielle will be serving as one of the Gala Co-Chairs next year)
- PVO Secretary/Sign Up
If you have any questions or can help with any of these roles please contact Danielle- email@example.com or 227-7080.