Our Mission: As a ministry of St. Benedict Parish,
Lumen Christi High School provides a rigorous Catholic education in a Christ-like environment!
Our Core Values: Living Faith, Celebrating Family, and Achieving Excellence
Important Upcoming Dates:
- May 6th: St. Benedict Parish Spring Clean Up
- May 10th: Baccalaureate Mass, 7pm
- May 11th: Graduation, 7pm
- May 15th: Field Day, 12:30pm – 2:30pm
- May 22nd-24th: Finals
- May 24th: Last Day of School
- May 25th-26th: Teacher Inservice
Principal’s Update: As expected, Prom was a beautiful event. Thank you to the parents who decorated Gateway Hall at the Alaska Zoo to look like a circus big top and to those who stayed late cleaning up in record time. Our students were very well behaved and appeared to have a great time. They were very patient too (and a tad bit concerned) when the chaperone staff took to the dance floor to give our Tony Manero renditions of “Staying Alive” by the Bee Gees! Needless to say, a fun time was had by all!
This Saturday, on May 6, we hope you can take time out your busy schedules to come support St. Benedict Parish’s Spring Clean Up Day from 9am-1pm. There is plenty of work to do to make our Church and our School shine, and we appreciate the dozen or so families who have already signed up. St. Benedict’s extends us so many blessings in the form of financial and spiritual assistance. This is a great way to “give back” to the Parish and thank the parishioners for their years of strong support to our school.
You will see in the upcoming dates above a “Field Day” on May 15th. This event is still in planning, but we will most likely schedule this as a Friday B day with classes from 7:45am-12:20pm. Instead of early dismissal though, we are planning on having a school field day full of fun activities for our students to celebrate the year and blow off some steam before finals the next week. Coach Billy is working on basketball, kickball, and volleyball games between the grade levels and we plan to open up the concession stand to sell any remaining food we have left over from the year. We might even have a dunk tank and a pie throwing contest! If you are interested in helping to plan the event or be willing to help out on the 15th, please let me, Mrs. Estes, or Coach Billy know. More to follow!
On a final note, the thirteen Seniors from the Lumen class of 2017 will have their last day of school tomorrow. We are very proud of their accomplishments and look forward to Baccalaureate Mass and Graduation next week. All Lumen families are invited to these events, so we hope to see you there. You will see our awesome graduates profiled on our website at www.lumenchristiak.com. Congratulations Class of 2017!
St. Benedict’s Spring Clean-up: May 6th at 9am until approximately 1pm is Spring Clean-up of the grounds surrounding St. Benedict’s and Lumen Christi. Please bring your own tools (rakes, gloves, etc). Mark your calendars and come on out to help. This would be a great way to complete any parent share hours or community service. Please click on this link to sign up and come help: http://signup.com/go/iFSPrBT
Baccalaureate Mass & Graduation: Our Seniors are graduating! This is a very special time for our Seniors, please come out and celebrate them by attending the Baccalaureate Mass and Graduation.
- Baccalaureate Mass: May 10th at 7pm at St. Benedict’s Parish
- Graduation: May 11th at 7pm in the LCHS Gym
Penny Wars: It was an competitive end to penny wars yesterday afternoon. The Senior class needs to count the money so stay tuned for the results to see which class won!!
Finals Week Schedule: On May 22nd, 23rd, and 24th we will have a special schedule for Finals. There will also be a sign-up coming out soon for parents to sign up to bring snacks for the students.
- Monday, May 22nd: Periods 1 & 2 Finals with school dismissal at 11:15am
- Tuesday, May 23rd: Periods 3 & 4 Finals with school dismissal at 11:15am
- Wednesday, May 24th: Periods 5 & 6 Finals with school dismissal at 11:15am
PVO Officers Needed: We are currently looking for parents who would be interested in being an officer for PVO…please call the office for more details. This is a great way to become more active at Lumen Christi, earn your parent share hours and meet other parents. We need to start looking forward to the next school year and it would be great to have PVO leadership in place before the end of the school year. If you are interested and would like more information, please contact Mrs. Estes at email@example.com or Mr. Ross at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lumen Christi School Board: The school board is looking for new members for next year. If you are interested, please contact Mr. Ross, Fr. Tom Lilly, or Mrs. Helgesen.
Next Scrip Order Date: The next order deadline will be May 15th at 3pm. It’s a great time to purchase gift cards for graduation presents, household shopping, home improvement projects, and so much more. An order form is attached to Lumen News for your convenience or call Mrs. Estes and she can help you set-up your own account on Shopwithscrip.com
- Congratulations Kaare Helgesen on his confirmation!
- Next Week we resume service hours at SEAS! Sign up by 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 9.
- Great Service opportunity! Enjoy the Spring weather and make a difference! Saturday, May 6th, is Community Cleanup for St. Benedict Church. We will be cleaning up and beautifying the Church grounds. The day begins at 9 a.m. and go until 1 p.m. Please join us for some or all of the day!
- The Five First Saturday Devotion is a powerful observance revealed to the children of Fatima. Fr. Christopher Brannan, OP will be celebrating Mass and speaking on this devotion on Saturday, May 13 at 8:00 a.m. at Holy Family Cathedral. All are welcome. For more information on this devotion go to: http://www.themostholyrosary.com/appendix2.htm
- Don’t forget: Tonight, May 4 at 6:00 p.m., is the ladies tea at Highland Glen Bed and Breakfast,11651 Hillside Dr. Proceeds support the Young Life Friends Camp. This is a wonderful organization that helps teen mothers walk the path of faith and love. You can help by volunteering, attending the event and/or giving a contribution. RSVP to ANCHORAGEYOUNGLIFE@GMAIL.COM
- Please pray that our seniors will be blest with faith, compassion and perseverance, as they prepare for graduation!
- The Campus Ministry Team posts information for activities at all local Anchorage and Eagle River Churches. This can be found on the bulletin board outside room 121. If you have anything to add for your parish please email to Mrs. Loeffler or send it in with your teen.
- Have you considered taking an hour a week to be still with Christ in Adoration? St. Benedict will be holding Adoration Monday – Friday each week from 10am to 10pm in the Church, beginning April 17. Students and parents are invited to sign up for Eucharistic Adoration at your home Parish or at St. Benedict Parish.
- All students grades 6-8 are invited to St. Benedict’s Junior High youth group on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of each month at 6 p.m.
- Students who attend their home Parish’s Youth group can earn extra points in Theology Classes!
Alaska Catholic Youth Conference (ACYC) 2017: ACYC will be held this year from June 5th-8th for all middle school and high school students. Online registration opens on April 17th. Early bird pricing is until May 1st for $99. After May 1st, pricing is $120. Please visit www.archdioceseofanchorage.org for registration and information.
Tuition Assistance for the 2017-18 School Year: Lumen Christi High School works with Covenant Tuition Services (CTS) to determine eligibility for financial aid. Families who wish to apply for financial aid, please click on the following link: http://cts-tuition.com/app/lumancak The deadline for applications is July 15th, 2017.
Shoparoo: Shoparoo is an app in which you simply take photos of receipts on your smartphone and submit. Lumen then earns “Roo Points” which are converted at the end of the year into a donation to the school. Mrs. Estes and Mrs. Brewer both got this app on their phones and it is super easy and fun to use. Follow these simple steps after you download the app from either the App Store or on Google Play:
- SHOP: Shop for any product, at any store.
- SNAP: Take a picture of your receipt.
- EARN: Earn cash donations & sweepstakes entries