Our Mission: As a ministry of St. Benedict Parish,
Lumen Christi High School provides a rigorous Catholic education in a Christ-like environment!
Our Core Values: Living Faith, Celebrating Family, and Achieving Excellence
Important Upcoming Dates:
- May 10th: Baccalaureate Mass, 7pm
- May 11th: Graduation, 7pm
- May 15th: Field Day, 12:30pm – 2:30pm
- May 16th: School Board Meeting, 6pm
- May 22nd-24th: Finals
- May 24th: Last Day of School
- May 25th-26th: Teacher Inservice
- July 26th: HS & JH Soccer Begins
- July 26th: HS & JH Cross Country Running Begins
- July 26th: HS Tennis Season Begins
- August 3rd: Registration, 2pm-7pm
- August 21st: Classes Begin
- August 25th: Back to School Night & Picnic
Principal’s Update: Thank you to the Lebechi, Pintner, Northcutt, Hersh, Thorsness, Alvarez, and Simono families for coming out to help with St. Benedict Parish’s Spring Clean Up Day last weekend. Many hands made light work as we made the school and parish grounds look great.
Congratulations to our junior high track team who came in 3rd place at last weekend’s meet at Hanshew. A special shout out to Lam Puoy, Tommy Simono, Evan Powell, and Jamie Estes for doing so well in each of their events.
The 10th grade class won the Penny War competition, with the school raising over $650 through donations of coins! Well done! Half of this amount will go to support senior graduation next year, while the other half will be donated to the Children’s Lunchbox program at Bean’s Cafe. For more information on this charity, see https://www.beanscafe.org/the-childrens-lunch-box.
Our Baccalaureate Mass was a beautiful celebration. The Class of 2018 officially received the Paschal Candle from the Class of 2017 and are now entrusted to lead our student body in lighting the hallways of our school and the whole of our community with the Light of Christ.
Finally, we look forward to recognizing our graduating seniors tonight at Graduation. We hope to see you there. You will see our awesome graduates profiled on our website at www.lumenchristiak.com. Congratulations Class of 2017!
Graduation: Our Seniors are graduating! This is a very special time for our Seniors, please come out and celebrate them by attending Graduation tonight at 7pm in Lumen Christi’s gym.
Monday, May 15th-Field Day: On Monday the 15th, we will follow a Friday B schedule but instead of dismissal we will have an afternoon of fun. We will start with lunch and recommend that you send a sack lunch with no heat ups. The concession stand will be open with hot dogs, nachos, corn dogs, candy, soda, and etc. available for sale. Fun games and class competitions are planned with normal school dismissal at 2:30pm. Students may also dress down day on Monday. Standard dress down rules apply.
Next Scrip Order Date: The next order deadline will be May 15th at 3pm. It’s a great time to purchase gift cards for graduation presents, household shopping, home improvement projects, and so much more. An order form is attached to Lumen News for your convenience or call Mrs. Estes and she can help you set-up your own account on Shopwithscrip.com
Finals Week Schedule: On May 22nd, 23rd, and 24th we will have a special schedule for Finals. There will also be a sign-up coming out soon for parents to sign up to bring snacks for the students.
- Monday, May 22nd: Periods 1 & 2 Finals with school dismissal at 11:15am
- Tuesday, May 23rd: Periods 3 & 4 Finals with school dismissal at 11:15am
- Wednesday, May 24th: Periods 5 & 6 Finals with school dismissal at 11:15am
Fall Sports: Many of our Fall sports will begin before school starts and the season start times are listed below. If you child plans to participate in any of the Fall sports, please contact Billy Hunt at email@example.com.
- Soccer (HS and JH): Starts on July 26th
- Cross Country Running (HS and JH): Starts on July 26th. The cross country running teams are dependent on the number of students participating.
- Tennis (HS Only): Starts on July 26th. The tennis season is dependent on the number of students participating.
2017 Archbishop’s Golf Tournament: Attached to Lumen News is a flyer detailing the Archbishop’s Golf Tournament on June 7th to benefit seminarian education.
PVO Officers Needed: We are currently looking for parents who would be interested in being an officer for PVO…please call the office for more details. This is a great way to become more active at Lumen Christi, earn your parent share hours and meet other parents. We need to start looking forward to the next school year and it would be great to have PVO leadership in place before the end of the school year. If you are interested and would like more information, please contact Mrs. Estes at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mr. Ross at email@example.com.
Lumen Christi School Board: The school board is looking for new members for next year. If you are interested, please contact Mr. Ross, Fr. Tom Lilly, or Mrs. Helgesen.
Penny Wars: The 10th grade class won the Penny Wars. They have earned dress down days for finals on May 22nd, 23rd, and 24th. Standard dress down rules apply.
- Congratulations to Hagen Lirette, Maeve Bakic, Nathan Marshall, Mark Loeffler, Joey Novcaski, and Matthew Goodwin on their Confirmation!
- The Five First Saturday Devotion is a powerful observance revealed to the children of Fatima. Fr. Christopher Brannan, OP will be celebrating Mass and speaking on this devotion on Saturday, May 13 at 8:00 a.m. at Holy Family Cathedral. All are welcome. For more information on this devotion go to: http://www.themostholyrosary.com/appendix2.htm
- The Campus Ministry Team posts information for activities at all local Anchorage and Eagle River Churches. This can be found on the bulletin board outside room 121. If you have anything to add for your parish please email to Mrs. Loeffler or send it in with your teen.
- Have you considered taking an hour a week to be still with Christ in Adoration? St. Benedict will be holding Adoration Monday – Friday each week from 10am to 10pm in the Church, beginning April 17. Students and parents are invited to sign up for Eucharistic Adoration at your home Parish or at St. Benedict Parish.
- All students grades 6-8 are invited to St. Benedict’s Junior High youth group on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of each month at 6 p.m.
- Students who attend their home Parish’s Youth group can earn extra points in Theology Classes!
Alaska Catholic Youth Conference (ACYC) 2017: ACYC will be held this year from June 5th-8th for all middle school and high school students. Online registration opens on April 17th. Early bird pricing is until May 1st for $99. After May 1st, pricing is $120. Please visit www.archdioceseofanchorage.org for registration and information.
Tuition Assistance for the 2017-18 School Year: Lumen Christi High School works with Covenant Tuition Services (CTS) to determine eligibility for financial aid. Families who wish to apply for financial aid, please click on the following link: http://cts-tuition.com/app/lumancak The deadline for applications is July 15th, 2017.
Shoparoo: Shoparoo is an app in which you simply take photos of receipts on your smartphone and submit. Lumen then earns “Roo Points” which are converted at the end of the year into a donation to the school. Mrs. Estes and Mrs. Brewer both got this app on their phones and it is super easy and fun to use. Follow these simple steps after you download the app from either the App Store or on Google Play:
- SHOP: Shop for any product, at any store.
- SNAP: Take a picture of your receipt.
- EARN: Earn cash donations & sweepstakes entries