Our Mission: As a ministry of St. Benedict Parish,
Lumen Christi High School provides a rigorous Catholic education in a Christ-like environment!
Our Core Values: Living Faith, Celebrating Family, and Achieving Excellence
Important Upcoming Dates:
- May 22nd-24th: Finals
- May 24th: Last Day of School
- May 25th-26th: Teacher Inservice
- July 26th: HS & JH Soccer Begins
- July 26th: HS & JH Cross Country Running Begins
- July 26th: HS Tennis Season Begins
- August 3rd: Registration, 2pm-7pm
- August 21st: Classes Begin
- August 25th: Back to School Night & Picnic
Principal’s Update: Excitement is in the air as we approach the last few days of the school year. We wish the students the best of luck on their final exams. Next week, I hope to send out a letter to parents highlighting some pending changes to the school for the next school year as well as key dates to mark on your calendars. More details will be provided at our Back to School Night on August 25th, but I would like to give everyone an advance notice of what you can expect to see when students return from the summer. Have a wonderful and blessed summer break!
Finals Week Schedule: On May 22nd, 23rd, and 24th we will have a special schedule for Finals.
- Monday, May 22nd: Periods 1 & 2 Finals with school dismissal at 11:15am
- Tuesday, May 23rd: Periods 3 & 4 Finals with school dismissal at 11:15am
- Wednesday, May 24th: Periods 5 & 6 Finals with school dismissal at 11:15am
Student Community Service Hours: Student community service hours are due no later than Friday. Please have your student turn their forms into the front office. If needed, students may also come look at the book to see how many hours they have turned in so far.
Jador (Mrs. Craig’s Class Pet) Needs a Summer Home: If your family is interested in taking care of Jador for the summer, please let us know. If you’d like to help but cannot do the whole summer, let us know those details as well. You can contact Mrs. Craig at email@example.com or Mrs. Estes at firstname.lastname@example.org
Yearbook: As we head into Summer Break, we are thinking of next year’s Yearbook. This is a reminder that Summer is a great time to take Senior photos. The due date for Senior Photos is October 31st, 2017.
Tuition Assistance for the 2017-18 School Year: Lumen Christi High School works with Covenant Tuition Services (CTS) to determine eligibility for financial aid. Families who wish to apply for financial aid, please click on the following link: http://cts-tuition.com/app/lumancak The deadline for applications is July 15th, 2017.
2017 Archbishop’s Golf Tournament: Attached to Lumen News is a flyer detailing the Archbishop’s Golf Tournament on June 7th to benefit seminarian education.
Attention all 11th Graders!!: A message from Mr. Loren Leman: I want to be sure that any qualified student from your school who is just completing the junior year in high school is aware of the This summer, Alaska Girls State and Boys State programs will be at St. Therese’s Camp in Wasilla for any qualified student completing their Junior year. The week-long civic/leadership training program for girls will be June 3-9 and for boys June 11-17. I attended the first Alaska Boys State way back in 1967–and it made a huge difference in my life. I have continued to return to teach at these programs for nearly the past 30 years.
I am looking for well-grounded students to attend who will be willing to stand strong on timeless values and make a difference in these camps. These are fully hosted–which means local American Legion and American Legion Auxiliary posts are covering the costs. Two attendees will be chosen from each program to go to Girls Nation and Boys Nation in Washington, D.C. in August–all expenses paid!
You can find more information as well as the application forms at http://alaskalegionauxiliary.org/GirlsState.htm and http://www.alaskalegion.org/boys_state_info.htm. They are still accepting applications, but don’t delay. I hope your students will consider this.
FREE Concert: Don’t miss the FREE CONCERT with Jesse Manibusan as he leads the evening with song, laughter and prayer. Come to Lumen Christi Gym, Monday, June 5, 2017 from 8:00PM to 9:30PM. ALL ARE WELCOME!
Alaska Catholic Youth Conference (ACYC) 2017: ACYC will be held this year from June 5th-8th for all middle school and high school students. Online registration opens on April 17th. Early bird pricing is until May 1st for $99. After May 1st, pricing is $120. Please visit www.archdioceseofanchorage.org for registration and information.
Fall Sports: Many of our Fall sports will begin before school starts and the season start times are listed below. If you child plans to participate in any of the Fall sports, please contact Billy Hunt at email@example.com.
- Soccer (HS and JH): Starts on July 26th
- Cross Country Running (HS and JH): Starts on July 26th. The cross country running teams are dependent on the number of students participating.
- Tennis (HS Only): Starts on July 26th. The tennis season is dependent on the number of students participating.
PVO Officers Needed: We are currently looking for parents who would be interested in being an officer for PVO…please call the office for more details. This is a great way to become more active at Lumen Christi, earn your parent share hours and meet other parents. We need to start looking forward to the next school year and it would be great to have PVO leadership in place before the end of the school year. If you are interested and would like more information, please contact Mrs. Estes at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mr. Ross at email@example.com.
Lumen Christi School Board: The school board is looking for new members for next year. If you are interested, please contact Mr. Ross, Fr. Tom Lilly, or Mrs. Helgesen.
- A special thanks to our Campus Ministry Team: Sophia Dupras, Nathan Goodwin, Gage Hogue, Chidubem Lebechi, and Josef Mey who have done a great job creating Garden Prayer Rocks for the newest members of the Church. They were beautiful and greatly appreciated!
- The Campus Ministry Team posts information for activities at all local Anchorage and Eagle River Churches. This can be found on the bulletin board outside room 121. If you have anything to add for your parish please email to Mrs. Loeffler or send it in with your teen.
- Have you considered taking an hour a week to be still with Christ in Adoration? St. Benedict will be holding Adoration Monday – Friday each week from 10am to 10pm in the Church, beginning April 17. Students and parents are invited to sign up for Eucharistic Adoration at your home Parish or at St. Benedict Parish.
- All students grades 6-8 are invited to St. Benedict’s Junior High youth group on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of each month at 6 p.m.
- Students who attend their home Parish’s Youth group can earn extra points in Theology Classes!