Important Upcoming Dates:
- Dec 8th: Holy Day of Obligation (Feast of the Immaculate Conception)(Fri B w/Lent schedule)
- Dec 9th: Jingle Bell Run
- Dec 12th: Student Advent Reconciliation Service
- Dec 15th: High School Fall Sports Banquet, 6:30-8pm
- Dec 16th: Polar Bear Plunge
- Dec 19th, 20th, 21st: Finals
- Dec 22nd-Jan 5th: No School, Christmas Break
- Jan 8th: Classes Resume
- Jan 15th: No School, MLK Holiday
- Jan 29th-Feb 3rd: Catholic Schools Week
- Jan 29th: All Catholic School Mass at OLG, 10:30am
- Jan 29th: 2nd Annual State of the School Address, 7pm
- Feb 4th: Lumen Christi/St. Benedict’s Community Mass, 10:30am
- Feb 10th: Lumen Christi’s Mardi Gras Gala, 5:30pm
Advent is in full swing as we await the coming of Christ! To celebrate Advent, our students gather in the front foyer around our Jesse Tree for a short reading and reflection each morning. The readings chronicle the story of Jesus’ coming, beginning with Genesis and ending with Jesus’ birth. This link gives a great explanation of the tradition of the Jesse Tree: http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/overviews/seasons/advent/jesse_tree.cfm.
Last weekend, our junior high basketball teams competed in the Alaska Christian Schools Activities Association (ACSAA) tournament. Our boys’ team came in first place for the second year in a row! Our girls team came back after losing the first game to earn second place honors, defeating the team who put them in the loser’s bracket in the first place. Awesome job Archangels!
This week, our 9th, 10th, and 11th graders participated in a community service project and decorated the halls of Prestige Care and Rehabilitation Center off Muldoon Road. The staff and residents appreciated the students’ assistance and good cheer in decorating the facility for the holidays. Great job, Lumen Classes of 2019, 2020, and 2021!
We also look forward to Friday Mass to celebrate the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, a Holy Day of Obligation. Please ensure your student is looking sharp this day as devote ourselves to the Blessed Mother. As Blessed Pope Pius IX proclaimed on December 8, 1854, and found in the Catechism of the Catholic Church (491): “The most Blessed Virgin Mary was, from the first moment of her conception, by a singular grace and privilege of almighty God and by virtue of the merits of Jesus Christ, Saviour of the human race, preserved immune from all stain of original sin.”
Going into the weekend, we are proud to say we have 23 members and have raised $1040 at this point towards our goal of $2500 for the Jingle Bell Run! Way to go! Today is the last day to sign up for our Archangels Team, so we hope you can join us Saturday. Our Jingle Bell Run team
page can be found at: http://www.jbr.org/anchorage/lumenchristiarchangels.
As mentioned last week, as we close out the semester, I’d like to make myself available to speak with parents, alumni, and friends of Lumen Christi. I am hosting a couple of “Q&A with the Principal” sessions between now and final exams. This is your opportunity to come and ask questions about the school, address any concerns you might have, clear up any rumors, or even just let me know how things are going. For the morning sessions, I’ll bring coffee and donuts! I look forward to seeing you, if you can make it! If you can’t make these times, and would still like to talk about something, please feel free to let me know and we can schedule a time more convenient for you. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 907-245-9231
- Thursday, Dec 7 – 7:45am-8:50am or 3pm-6pm
- Friday, Dec 8 – 7:15am-8:50am or 3pm-5pm
- Monday, Dec 11 – 7:15am-8:50am or 3pm-5pm
- Monday, Dec 18 – 7:15am-8:50am or 3pm-5pm
Schedule Change-Holy Day on December 8th: The school will attend Mass on Friday, December 8th as it is a Holy Day of obligation. We will adjust our school schedule as listed below:
- Thursday, December 7th: We will follow a Monday bell schedule
- Friday, December 8th: We will follow a Fri B Lent bell schedule so that we can attend Mass. Dismissal is at 12:35pm.
National Honor Society: Lumen Christi is starting their first chapter of the National Honor Society. The NHS acknowledges those students in 10th-12th grade that stand out in scholarship, leadership, service and character. For those interested, applications were available starting December 1st and
will be due no later than 3pm on December 15th. Please see Mrs. Craig for an application and for any additional questions you may have.
80’s Day!: On Friday December 15th, dress in your best 80s attire to celebrate the theme of our 2017-2018 Yearbook, “Totally 80s.” Examples of what to wear/what not to wear are posted on the bulletin boards at school. The school picture will be taken on this day as well. Let’s show some school spirit!
Finals Week Schedule:
The week of finals is as follows:
- Monday, December 18th-normal scheduled school day
- Tuesday, December 19th- Finals for periods 1 & 2. School day begins at 7:45am and ends at 11:15am.
- Wednesday, December 20th-Finals for periods 3 & 4. School day begins at 7:45am and ends at 11:15am.
- Thursday, December 21st-Finals for periods 5 & 6. School day begins at 7:45am and ends at 11:15am.
- Friday, December 22nd-No School, Teacher In-service
Jidor Needs a Home: Jidor, Mrs. Craig’s classroom bunny needs a home for Christmas break. If your family is interested in helping take care of Jidor, please let Mrs. Craig or the office know. You can contact Mrs. Craig at email@example.com.
Scrip: We would like to get as many Lumen families to sign up for Scrip as possible and consider starting to use Scrip for their everyday shopping and gift giving. With the Holiday season upon us, it is the perfect time to start. What is Scrip Fundraising? Scrip is fundraising while you shop®! You can buy
gift cards from over 780 retailer brands you already shop at and earn a rebate on every gift card you purchase at face value. That rebate goes right to Lumen Christi.
- How it Works: We run our scrip program through ShopWithScrip.com, who has worked with over 30,000 nonprofit organizations over the course of 23 years. You’ll need to sign up and create an account to order online.
- How to Create Your Account Online: You register online by:
- go to www.ShopWithScrip.com and clicking Get Started.
- Click Join Your Program, and enter Lumen’s enrollment code (Please contact Mrs. Estes for our school code) which will link your account to Lumen’s.
- Fill out the required information and click Register.
- You’ll answer two challenge questions and provide answers.
- Then you’ll be ready to order online and earn!
- See the attached Family User Guide for more in-depth directions.
FOR SALE IN THE OFFICE: We have a variety of gift cards available for sale in the office and here is what we have left: Starbucks ($10), iTunes ($15), Great Harvest ($10), Barnes & Noble ($10), Bath & Body Works ($10), Domino’s Pizza ($10), American Eagle ($25), and Land’s End ($25).
- Scrip is a great way to help Lumen raise funds while you do your everyday shopping and gift giving. Please see Mrs. Estes with any questions you may have. Our next order deadline will be on Friday, December 8th at 3pm.
Fall Sports Banquet: On Friday, December 15th, we will hold a High School Fall Sports Banquet for cross country running, soccer, and volleyball from 6:30-8pm.
Junior High Winter Fun Day: The Junior High Winter Fun Day is scheduled for Saturday, December 16, 2017. The day begins at 8:45 a.m. at the Dimond Ice Chalet and ends at 5:00 p.m. Please bring a check in the amount of $30 payable to AOA (Archdiocese of Anchorage) or cash for the skating, bowling, and movie. Participants must also have money to buy their own lunch in the lower food court and do their own shopping. Please talk to your parish youth ministry leader about carpooling together from your parish for this event. Adult chaperones only need to pay for the activities in which they participate. Most simply come to the movie. We don’t know exactly which movie we will attend, but are hoping the theater adds additional show times for the new Star Wars movie. We’ll know more on Wednesday, December 13. There will likely be a couple of options to choose from. If you have general
questions about the event, please contact Matthew Beck at firstname.lastname@example.org or 907-297-7734.
Senior Memory Pages:
Senior Memory pages are due during the month of December.
- If you or your parents/you are making your own memory page, it will be due December 21st, 2017. Calling All Photographers!: Do you have any great pictures of your students playing sports or participating in extra-curricular activities? Although our Yearbook team tries to be at as many events as possible, we can’t be everywhere. Please send any pictures you have to Mrs. Spillers, so that we can try to include them in the yearbook. E-mail: email@example.com
- GALA, GALA, GALA! Our first Gala Meeting is Tuesday, December 12th at 7 pm!
- If you do not have your memory pages submitted on time, they will not be featured in the yearbook. All submissions can be given digitally or hard-copy to Mrs. Spillers.
- Gala – How Can You Help?!
If you have any questions, please contact Danielle (firstname.lastname@example.org).
All are invited to join us for Mass at 7:15 a.m. Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays in our new School Chapel! Pray for Peace. Act in Peace.
- Time is “running” out! Jingle Bell Run is this Saturday, December 9. Please sign up to run/walk or sponsor a runner!
- This Monday we began our morning Jesse Tree reflections in the main hallway during advisory. Please join us!
- This Friday is the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. Join us for Mass on Friday at 9 a.m.
- Calling all musicians!!! We are looking for a piano player to play for our school Masses! You may choose the hymns with which you are most comfortable. Please see Mrs. Loeffler.
- Please sign up to participate in The Polar Plunge. Students can find information on the bulletin board across from the main office. All family members and friends please come out and join our teams to raise money for The Special Olympics. If you cannot jump you can sponsor someone who is!!!
- Sign up sheets for Friday service hours at The Archangel Attic can be found on the bulletin board across from the school office. Students please sign up!!
- We are so proud of the following students who have formed a choir for our Thursday Masses! Garrett Renfro, Jeannie McConnell, Anika Beighle, Jaydin Dufrane, Jamie Estes, Halle faro, Nate Goodwin, Wolfgang Goorchenko, Karin Helgesen, Parker Klem, Kirstin Marshall, Luc Merrell.
- All eligible students are invited to be trained as altar servers for our school Masses. Interested students please see Mrs. Loeffler.
- If you know of a worthy cause in need of volunteers let us know so we can get the word out!
- Advent is here!! Interested in forming an Advent Prayer Study group? Contact Mrs. Loeffler: email@example.com
- Victims of the California wildfires
- First responders to the fires
- Those who are lacking adequate food and shelter as winter comes
- Our national and world leaders
The Archdiocese is in need of students to wrap gifts. Please contact Mrs. Loeffler if you are interested.