Lumen News – April 15th, 2022
Important Upcoming Dates:
Apr 15: Good Friday (No School)
Apr 15: Good Friday Faith Walk (see details below)
Apr 17: Easter Sunday! CHRIST IS RISEN!
Apr 18: Easter Monday (No School)
Apr 23: Spring Speaker Series (see details below)
Apr 27: PSAT Testing, Grades 7th-8th
Apr 25: 4th Quarter Principal-Parent Forum (7pm, plus virtual option)
Apr 29: Last School Mass with Seniors @ 7:45am
Apr 30: High School Prom, 8-11pm (Viking Hall)
May 2: Class of 2022 Celebration Parade, 6pm (details below)
May 4: Class of 2022 Baccalaureate Mass, 7pm
May 5: Class of 2022 Graduation Ceremony, 7pm
May 17-19: Finals, Early Dismissal (11am)
May 19: Last Day of Classes
May 26-28: Garage Sale (Set Up 26th, Sale 27th-28th)
The Triduum is upon us, and after, the Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ! We will end our school day today with the Stations of the Cross and dismiss for the weekend.
As we look forward, I invite you to the 2nd iteration of our School Board’s Speaker Series on Saturday,April23rd,at7pmhereatschool. Inprevioussurveys,ourschoolfamilieshaveaskedformore social occasions in a faith environment and this event promises to be just that! Come listen to the gifted Dr. Jared Staudt on how to learn and live the faith and afterward, mingle and meet other Lumen families in a social hosted by Matanuska Brewing Company. To help incentivize student attendance, I will grant a casual day on Monday, April 25th and two Faith in Action hours for any student who attends the event. Additionally, Father Tom has said he will host a pizza lunch party for the grade level with the highest percentage of students from the class in attendance!! To help incentivize parent attendance, you will earn at least two Share Hours for attending! Our School Board has put a lot of effort into this event, and we hope many in our community will gather with us next Saturday!!
On behalf of our entire school staff and my family, we hope you have a blessed Triduum and Easter.
The Virtue of the Week is Mortification
You can find great conversation starters and other ideas on this week’s virtue on the following website:
- Today is Holy Thursday, the first day of the Holy Triduum. I hope you are able to take part in the services this week. The following link provides the for each Parish: https://northstarcatholic.org/holy-week-easter-schedules-across-anchorage-archdiocese/
- Students and families are all invited to take part in the Faith Walk on Good Friday, April 15. The Saint Benedict Youth Group will leave from Lumen Christi Friday morning at 8am. Other meet locations are on the following website: https://aoaj.org/documents/2022/4/2022-GFFW%20Schedule%20Edit%202.pdf
- We are not making sandwiches this week but will begin again next Friday.
- We are excited to be welcoming Sophia Turner into full communion with the Church this Saturday at the St. Benedict Easter Vigil.
- Dynamic Catholic has a wonderful daily Lenten reflection. You can sign up at https://www.dynamiccatholic.com/lent.html
- Students’ Rice Bowls to collect money for Catholic Relief Services will be collected the week after Easter.
Happy Birthday this week to Porter Brady, Lukas Tzvetcoff, Sarn Haughey, Michael Henry, and AD Warren.
Thank you for all your donations; please keep sending meat, sliced cheese, and bread. You can drop off any time during the week, by noon on Fridays. Unfortunately we cannot use condiments, peanut butter or jelly for sandwiches. Some of these items have come in and were greatly appreciated at the food bank.
The Last Seven Words of Christ 9 minute Meditation
- For those suffering spiritual, emotional and psychological difficulty
- For all of your intentions
- For strength, courage, and protection of those under siege in Ukraine
- For peace and cessation of the violence resulting from Russia’s invasion.
- For those in Russia who bravely stand against the siege
- For the conversion of Russia
- For those experiencing homelessness, hunger, and isolation especially during these temperatures
- For the health and safety of our school families
- For an end to the pandemic
- For unity in our country
Track & Field Meets
Front Office News:
JOIN US!!! – Good Friday Faith Walk from St. Ben. Parish to Downtown
The Good Friday Faith Walk will depart from St. Benedict at 8am on Friday, April 15th to meet at Pope John Paul II Memorial (Delaney Parkstrip) at 10:30 AM.
Following will be an opportunity to watch The Passion of the Christ film in the Upper Room at LCHS.
Class of 2022 Senior Celebration Parade
The Senior Celebration Parade is a tradition born during the pandemic, when social distancing expectations made us get creative in celebrating our graduating class. On Monday, May 2, at 6pm, we will gather a car convoy (along with our two Lumen buses) and drive through Anchorage on a preset route to each of our Seniors houses (or other locations). We will personally deliver a graduation yard sign and honk, beep, and otherwise embarrass the Class of 2022 graduate in their local neighborhood. With 16 Seniors this year, the convoy will take a bit longer than normal, but we anticipate about two hours. We know gas prices are rising, but for the past two years, our Seniors and their families have come to appreciate our school community’s support in this new tradition. Come on out on a Monday night, take a drive through Anchorage, and celebrate our Class of 2022 graduates!
REQUIRED Parent Share Hours & Faith In Action Opportunities
As we look ahead to the end of the year, we know some families are still short on Share Hours. Know that we’ll have a couple of excellent opportunities coming up to help you meet those requirements!
Volunteers are needed to help with the following events:
1. We’ve had a few spots open up at the Archangel Attic – We need one volunteer on Saturday, April 23rd from 1-4p, and then FOUR! to work on Saturday, May 20th; 2 in the morning shift from 10a – 1p, and 2 in the afternoon from 1p-4p. Please call/text Sandy Foreman at 907-952-5251 if you can help, or sign up here: https://signup.com/go/rKBncff
2. Lumen Alumni parent Joe Law is hosting a BBQ picnic on Saturday, April 16th from 12-4pm at the Delaney Park Strip to help raise money for the Ukrainian Red Cross. He is seeking any students and families willing to help serve food and/or pick up trash during the event. This is not a school sponsored event, but if you are interested in volunteering, call Joe at 907-338-0129 to learn more details.
2. High School Prom set up, chaperoning, clean up and bring in: desserts/drinks (Saturday, 4/30.) https://signup.com/go/XamiDmu
4. Annual GARAGE SALE! What was once just an idea to raise a few bucks has become a large, annual 2 day event that brings in anywhere from $6,000 – $8,000!! This year we’re planning on holding the event, Friday May 27th and Saturday, May 28th. This is a labor intensive event and even though school will officially be out, volunteer hours will count towards this year’s Share Hour requirement. We anticipate needing help on Thursday afternoon, May 26th setting up tables and sorting donations; Friday and Saturday helping keep tables organized and new items placed.
Donations: start your own spring cleaning at home! We will gladly be accepting items
that are in considerably good condition starting Tuesday, May 24th after 12pm –
NO EARLY DONATION DROP OFFS
due to a series of events happening on campus.
Click here to volunteer: https://signup.com/go/syUzaHu
4. Finally, while it’s going to be a fantastic event in its own right, Principal Ross is offering Share Hours for attendance at the Spring Speaker Series (info below.) Come and support your school community, deepen your faith and have a cool beer afterwards (thank you Matanuska Brewing for your generosity in hosting the post-talk reception!)
Prom Guest Permission Slips (Grade 9th-12th)
Students will need to pick up Prom Guest Permission Slips at the front desk with Mrs. Guzman.
Spring Speaker Series!!!
Continuing the fall success of our annual Speaker Series, our illustrious School Board has planned and organized the next event scheduled for Saturday, April 23rd at 7pm here at Lumen. Details are below and posted on our Facebook page. We hope you will come join us in this social, informative, and family event in a faith-filled environment. Parents, please note the reception afterward sponsored by Matanuska Brewing!!!!
Invited to watch Speaker Jason Evert