Lumen News – February 20, 2020
Important Upcoming Dates:
- Feb 22nd: Junior High Social, 3-6pm (after last volleyball games)
- Feb 22nd: Valentine’s Dance (High School only), 8-11pm
- Feb 25th: Mardi Gras Pancake Dinner and Open House, 5:30-8pm – Volunteers & supplies needed, see below!
- Feb 26th: Ash Wednesday (All School Mass at 9am)
- Feb 27th: Basketball Senior Night vs Birchwood, 5:30pm (girls), 7pm (boys)
- Feb 29th: Fur Rendezvous Parade, 10:30am
- Mar 2nd: All School Rosary, 2pm
- Mar 3rd: Post Gala/Wrap Up Meeting, 7pm
- Mar 6th: Inservice Day (No School)
- Mar 7th-15th: Spring Break
- Apr 3-4: Spring Drama Production at APU
As we are marketing on Facebook and other social media, February is School Choice Month. Please bring a prospective family to one of the following events next week and let’s show others why they need to choose our school!
1. Our Mardi Gras Pancake Dinner on Tuesday, Feb 25th from 5:30-8pm. Who doesn’t love breakfast for dinner? Especially when it is free (donations accepted, of course!) Come join our other Lumen families for free pancakes and sausage and leave dinner to us. More details below.
2. Archangels vs Warriors Basketball on Thursday, Feb 27th. Come support our school teams as we compete against our archrival, the Birchwood Christian School Warriors. Girls play at 5:30pm, boys play at 7pm. Our boys team is 17-3 and poised to head to the State Championships in March! This is also our “Senior Night” where we recognize our senior athletes from the mighty class of 2020. All Lumen families in spirit wear get in free!
We look forward to seeing you this week for fun events at our school! Thanks again for all your support!
LUMENary Drive Update:
We’re getting close and SO appreciate each and every LUMENary donation that has come in to date. And yes, they’re still coming in! Remember that we strive for 100% family participation and no amount is too small to give. Together as a community we’ll reach our goal and collectively support Catholic education.
Virtue of the Week:
This week’s SportsLeader Virtue is PASSION: The strength to intensely pursue a goal. The opposite of passion is SLUGGISHNESS: The weakness of being unwilling to act quickly or seek improvement.
Catholic Schools Campaign Update:
Slow and steady, the “I Love My Catholic School” cards continue to arrive in the Office. To date, over $1,345.00 has come in. Thank you for helping your students complete that note-writing task at home. And hey! if the cards are still sitting in a pile on your kitchen counter, you can still send them out even though Catholic Schools Week was last month. All support is good, and no judgement for late mailing – life gets busy, we get it.
The Campus Ministry Office is located in the school, students and parents are always welcome to stop by!
“Laugh and grow strong!” St. Ignatius
Our tenth grade retreat has been rescheduled to Friday, April 24th, at The Holy Spirit Center. We are looking for a parent to organize lunch for the class.
We begin Stations of the Cross next Friday, February 28th in the school. Please come and experience this beautiful prayer as scripted and led by our Lumen students.
We still need a few volunteers for our Passion Encounter. Students can sign up on the bulletin board outside room 120.
Please send Mrs. Loeffler news and activities happening in your parishes!
For health and healing of the sick in our school and greater community.
For peace among all nations and peoples.
For those without adequate food, shelter and clothing throughout the winter.
For all those who are living with a mental health condition.
If you would like special intentions listed in Lumen News and Prayer Book of Intentions send them directly to Mrs. Loeffler.
All are invited to join us for Mass at 7:15 a.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays in our School Chapel.
Pray for Peace. Act with Peace.
Archangel Sports Update:
The Jr. High Volleyball Rally last Thursday was another thumbs-up afternoon of awesome playing and great fun. Our co-ed Team continues to impress & improve and are sitting in the middle of the pack as far as standings go. There’s a 2 day tournament starting tomorrow – Friday’s games will be from 5p-8p (our team plays at 7p) and Saturday’s play will run 9a-3p (our team will either play at 9a or 10a depending on if we win or lose Friday night.) We could use some help in concessions during the tourney, please sign up here if you want to earn some Share Hours and can help! https://signup.com/go/GoHkPcy
This week’s Tuesday night basketball game against South JV was cancelled due to the heavy snow & road conditions. The next game isThursday, February 27th against Birchwood, Girls at 5:30p/Boys at 7p. This is our last home game for the teams before the Conference Tournament in Soldotna March 6th – 8th. It will also be “Senior Night” so please come out to cheer on our teams as well as recognize the graduating seniors who have contributed to team successes over the years.
Junior High Social
Directly after the Jr. High Volleyball tournament ends on Saturday at 3p, there will be a Jr. High social in the Upper Room. Games/pool/ping pong/air hockey + pizza! This is something that the Jr. High has asked for so we hope there will be a great turnout. Students can bring friends from outside of Lumen to join in the fun if they wish. Pizza will be provided around 5p, pick up your student by 6p.
If your student comes to support the Volleyball game AND goes to the Social, Mr. Ross said they can have a dress down day on Monday, Feb. 24th.
Mardi Gras Pancake Dinner – this coming Tuesday
One of the things that makes Lumen great is the sense of community that is present among our families. Whether you’re a new family to the school or one who’s been around for a while, please come to the Student Room in the school on Tuesday, Feb. 25th from 5:30 – 8:00p to enjoy time together and a free pancake dinner (c’mon…who doesn’t love breakfast for dinner?) The night will also serve as an informal Open House for new and prospective families so make sure to reach out to a new face in the crowd if you see one!
To support the night, we’re looking for donations of Krusteaz Pancake mix, sausage links or patties, orange juice, syrup & butter. Drop off donations by Tuesday morning & get a Share Hour. Volunteer to help pre-make pancakes or serve that night and get a Share Hour!
25th Anniversary Gala
REMAINING GALA ITEMS
Stop by or call Anne at the front desk to purchase these items:
- Pi Day Party- Come and perfect your pie making skills with our Lumen Culinary Instructor, Carol Sturgulewski on Pi Day- 3/14/2020 @ 2 pm. Pie tins and ingredients provided, adult beverages will be served! 1 spot left- $39.25
- Ladies Poker Party- Enjoy dinner, tutorial, and a Texas Hold‘em Tournament!! 3/28/2020 @ 6pm. Prizes- 1st place $150, 2nd Place $100, 3rd Place $50 to Raven’s Nest Spa. $100 to play!!
- Barista Training Class at Caffe D’arte $25- Includes coffee mug of treats and $10 coffee card.
- Body Renew 3- Month Membership- $75
- Braces Starter Kit with Koropp Orthodontics $100- $500 certificate towards orthodontic treatment (new patients only), includes Oral B electric toothbrush & dental care items.
GALA WRAP UP MEETING
Tuesday March 3rd @ 7pm in the Library
Whether you volunteered in the weeks and months leading up to the event, volunteered the day or night of, or attended the event, now is the time to share our successes and what we can improve upon for next year. Earn a fundraising Share Hour for attending! PLEASE MAKE TIME TO ATTEND OUR LAST MEETING – ALL INPUT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Please contact us if you have questions- firstname.lastname@example.org
Danielle & Julie
Lumen Christi Gala Co-Chairs
Senior Slide Show
Only a week left! Senior parents & guardians – please send Mrs. Spillers a collection of 10-20 pictures of your student for the graduation slide show. These typically range from when they are little to their current age. Please send by February 28th to email@example.com. Thank you!
St. Benedicts & Other Community Events:
Raisin’ o’ the Green
This is for the St. Therese’s Camp Annual Fundraiser. Held at the Bridge Restaurant, this event sold out last year so buy your tickets early! They can be purchased online at www.stthereseak.com!
St. Benedict’s Youth Group
All Lumen students are welcome, regardless of parish affiliation or faith background.
High School Youth Night: Wednesday, February 26: Lent, Game Night & Open Gym. 7p-9p, Upper Room.
Junior High Youth Night: TONIGHT! Thursday, February 20th, 6-8p in the Upper Room.