Lumen News – January 14, 2021
Important Upcoming Dates:
- Jan 18: MLK Day, No School
- Jan 26th: PSAT testing for 9, 10, 11th grades
- Jan 31-Feb 6: Celebrate Catholic Schools Week
- Feb 2: 5th Annual State of the School, 7pm (virtual)
- !!Feb 6: Mardi Gras Gala!!
- Feb 10-11: Parent Teacher Conferences
- Feb 12: Teacher Inservice, No School
- Feb 15: President’s Day, No School
- Feb 17: Ash Wednesday (Lent Begins)
- Mar 5-14: Spring Break
With our school year off to a strong start, I ask our families to commit to assisting us in our areas of greatest need over the next couple of weeks. This includes registering for and purchasing your meal for our Feb. 6th Mardi Gras Gala AND encouraging and asking other families and friends to do the same. Take a look at the video our very own Danielle Rybicki put together on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lumenchristiak/videos/406527463889173
and read through the information below. One of the best things about a virtual gala is that unlike last year when we were sold out, we do not have to limit attendance this year – friends of Lumen Christi can join us from all over the world! This event is only successful thanks to hard work and superlative efforts of our entire community!
Another area of need is for parent help at the Archangel Attic on Fridays and Saturdays. Thank you to those who sign up to fill slots and commit to this important fundraising activity each week. Whenever Anne puts out a REMIND call seeking last minute volunteers to cover shifts, please prayerfully consider committing your time and your talent. It may seem intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of it, it is actually a wonderful and fun evening or day shift. It’s a great way for parents and students to fulfill Share Hours, and remember, ALL of the proceeds from Attic sales go to support keeping tuition affordable for all families. In other words, we ALL benefit from that little blue building on the corner of Jewel Lake and 82nd–to the tune of over $1 million over the past decade!
Have a blessed and safe weekend!
Virtue of the Week: Forgiveness
Be kind to one another, tenderhearted and forgiving. Eph 4:32
Happy and blessed birthdays to Jack Schroeder, Molly Sillers, Liam Dupras, Carrie-Ann French, and Austen Gunderson this week!
- Fr. Tom offers Mass for students Monday and Wednesdays and Reconciliation Tuesdays and Thursdays before school beginning at 7:15 a.m in our Archangel Chapel. All students are welcome!
- We strive to teach our children and students to solve differences through peaceful means. Experiencing the unrest of the past many months of protest and violence can be unsettling to our kids and sometimes it is hard to know what to say to them. Following is an article on talking to your kids about the activities that turned volatile in DC. I am suggesting this particular article because it is not politically charged, and gives practical suggestions.
- We are social by our nature; we need fellowship, and our youth, in particular, faces anxiety and depression from the isolation of the pandemic. I have numerous resources to share – please don’t hesitate to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org if I can be of any help.
Please remember the following in your prayers this week:
Peace and unity for our nation
Integrity in our political leaders
For those experiencing homelessness and poverty this winter
For all medical workers and first responders
If you would like special intentions listed in Lumen News and Prayer Book of Intentions you can send them directly to Mrs. Loeffler or to the front office.
LUMENary Drive Update:
Donations are holding steady after a large bump during the holiday season once again – thank you to all who have contributed so far. As a reminder, we’re hoping that all families can donate or help raise $500, tho truly any amount is appreciated. The next phase of the drive is twofold – outreach to our alumni and their parents, followed by a letter writing campaign by our students to friends and family. Think about those to whom your son or daughter might write, to share their thoughts about Lumen Christi with. Remember, we’re not asking your son or daughter to find people to underwrite their tuition, rather this is an “ask” for others to consider supporting Catholic schools, especially Lumen Christi!
Front Office News:
26th Annual Mardi Gras Gala & Auction Fundraiser
Online Auction & “Live” Virtual Event – Saturday, February 6th
3 WEEKS to go AND it’s GALA TIME!!!
REGISTER for bidding and PURCHASE your meal at https://lchsak2021.ggo.bid
MEAL orders DUE by JANUARY 27th!
LIKE, LOVE, INVITE, SHARE our event on our Lumen Christi Facebook Page- https://www.facebook.com/events/289289672526674
Bring any last minute DONATION items to the Front Office.
The Gala Team- email@example.com /273-1530
Wow! Our own talented Frankie Locke (11th grade) has created these St. Michael the Archangel stickers which are now for sale in the Office. $4 apiece: cash, check or it can get added to your SmartTuition Account! Perfect for water bottles, laptops, anything your student wants to decorate. Thank you for sharing your talents with us Frankie!
Don’t forget that the Junior High basketball teams will begin practicing next Wednesday, January 20th. Jr. Highers can either be picked up at 12:30 and dash out for a quick lunch, or may bring a sack lunch (no microwaves) and eat socially distanced in the gym bleachers, before practice. Please email Coach firstname.lastname@example.org if your student is interested in playing this year.
The Rifle Team roster is filled. Practice begins next Tuesday, January 19th. Mr. Ross has entered our school in a national “new shooter” championship league which will allow us to compete against dozens of teams from across the nation VIRTUALLY! We will shoot our targets on our home range (the gym) and upload our scores to the web–our weekly competitors will do the same on their end. Trophies and prizes are awarded for the highest scoring teams and individuals. Like those on the Jr. High Basketball Teams, Rifle Team members can either dash out for a quick lunch or stay and eat in the gym before practice at 1p.
Thanks everyone. Have a happy Friday, enjoy the long weekend and we’ll see you Tuesday!