Lumen News – March 18, 2021
Important Upcoming Dates:
- Mar 23: Principal-Parent Forum, 7pm
- April 1: Holy Thursday
- April 2: Good Friday – NO SCHOOL
- April 4: Easter Sunday
- April 5: Easter Monday – NO SCHOOL
- April 14: Jr. High PSAT Testing
- May 5: Baccalaureate Mass
- May 6: Graduation
- May 18-20: Finals
- May 20: Last Day of School
Our students returned after a nice Spring Break and immediately got back into our in person schooling routine. As we continue our Lenten journey, our students will be able to practice the Sacrament of Confession in two Lenten Reconciliation Services during the school day next week. After a Gospel reflection and Examination of Conscience, students will be able to have their confessions heard by parish priests. Thank you Father Tom for helping to put this moving ceremony together for us! Additionally, today, our students participated in the Stations of the Cross during the school day. Stations are led by our Class of 2021 seniors and Class of 2022 juniors with grade level groups processing through our classrooms in prayer and quiet reflection. Many thanks to our Campus Minister, Liz Loeffler, for organizing this great devotional opportunity!
Very soon, we will know whether our high school boys and girls basketball teams will earn berths at the 2021 ASAA March Madness State Basketball Championships at the end of the month. Starting today, they are competing in the regional conference championships in Soldotna, having earned first place seeding after a successful regular season. Please continue to keep our student athletes in your thoughts and prayers.
Congratulations to Vaeda Michaelson, Francesca Locke, Liam Thomson and Emily Ross, four of our High School students who submitted applications for National Honor Society. After review by the Faculty Council, all four were accepted and will be inducted into NHS. See below for details on the induction ceremony, and congratulations to these four students!
Our virtue of the week is RESILIENCE – The strength to be able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
“I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
- This week we celebrate the Feasts of two spectacular saints: St. Patrick on March 17 and St. Joseph on March 19. St. Joseph and St. Patrick pray for us!
- Next Monday, March 22, our high school students will have a Penance service during the last hour of the day, 10:50 – 12:20.
- Next Wednesday, March 24, our middle school students will have a Penance service during the last hour of the day, 10:50 – 12:20.
- Thank you juniors and seniors for another wonderful rendering of the Stations of the Cross today!!
- Please remember to send in rice bowls as they are filled.
- Some of our classes are listening to “The Bible in a Year” with Fr. Mike Schmitz. We have had some great conversations each day. Each podcast is 15-20 minutes long. I encourage you to listen with your family or friends. When you go to the website click “listen now” and go back to day one. https://ascensionpress.com/pages/biy-registration
- Best Lent Ever Podcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w67FFFsqguo
Happy Birthday March 17th to Jayden!
Please remember the following in your prayers this week:
- For our students who will receive the sacrament of Penance next week
- For resilience of spirit as we move through Lent!
If you would like special intentions listed in Lumen News and Prayer Book of Intentions you can send them directly to Mrs. Loeffler or to the front office.
The Archangel teams continue to impress in their games over the first weekend of Spring Break. The boys had a decisive win against the Nikolaevsk Warriors on Friday March 5th and both teams won on Saturday the 6th against the Ninilchik Wolverines. Regionals are kicking off today in Soldotna and will run through Saturday. We’re confident in the strength of both teams and are hopeful for regional wins for both, which will mean a trip to the State Tournament during the first weekend in April!
It’s a solid two weeks of skill building for the Rifle Team this week and next – prone/kneel/stand; prone/kneel/stand – practice makes perfect! Both Blue & Silver teams will have a match next Friday, March 26th.
Starting soon: soccer & track & field! Details to follow after Spring Break
Front Office News:
National Honor Society Induction Ceremony
As a reminder, the spring National Honor Society induction ceremony will be held next week on Thursday March 25th from 6-7pm in the library. Mrs. Craig will be back from her maternity sabbatical to welcome four new inductees into NHS. Come and celebrate Lumen’s academic excellence – all are welcome to attend!
That’s it for this week – it’s been another good one and oh, by the way – your kids are awesome!