Lumen News – March 21, 2019
Important Upcoming Dates:
- March 5-April 15: Canned Food Drive
- March 21-April 5: Used Shoe Drive
- Mar 21st: Gala Wrap Up Meeting 7:30pm (library)
- Mar 22nd: Stations of the Cross, 9am
- Mar 22nd Soup Lunch 11 am
- April 4th: Spring Open House and Pizza Dinner
- April 9th: Principal-Parent Forum, 6:30pm (library)
Principal Ross’s update was provided earlier today in a separate email. Please don’t hesitate to contact him with any questions, comments or concerns.
Virtue of the Week:
This week’s Virtue is CLASS – which is defined as “The strength to control one’s feelings seeking the good of others especially after victory & defeat.”
- What is your Lenten Promise?
- Consider attending Stations of the Cross with your family each Friday at your Parish.
- Join us at the school for Stations of the Cross each Friday beginning tomorrow, March 22nd, at 9 a.m. Students will transform each classroom into an interactive prayer station as they lead us through the last steps of Christ.
- The Campus Ministry Bulletin board outside room 120 has information for Lenten events at our Anchorage Catholic Parishes. If you have any events you would like posted please email Mrs. Loeffler or send flyers in with your students.
- A group of our students will be leading a Holy Thursday Spiritual Drama at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School on Holy Thursday, April 18th. Details on time will be posted. Please come join us and St. Elizabeth students for a prayerful morning.
- The Faith Walk is coming up on Good Friday, April 19th. Please plan to join us here at Lumen or your home parish. Details to come!
Please remember the following in your prayers this week.
- Victims of flooding
- Victims of violence
- Return to a reverence for all life
- All who have lost loved ones
- All first responders
- All families in crisis
Any prayer requests that families would like listed here in Lumen News and also in the Lumen Prayer Book of Intentions may be sent directly to Mrs. Loeffler.
Thank you for the many ways you support our school. Please remember that tuition you pay only covers 40-percent of the cost of educating your son/daughter. The LUMEN-ary Drive helps us close the gap between tuition and the real cost ($16,500) of educating a student at Lumen. At the moment less than 50-percent of current families have supported this critical annual appeal. Thank you to all who have contributed to this appeal. If you have received a reminder letter thank you for making a donation as your means allow. We are at a critical part of the school year and are striving to keep tuition afforadable for all families. I welcome your comments and concerns. Thank you! Fr. Tom
Archangel Sports Update:
Track & Field starts Monday the 25th. This is for Jr. High & High School school students and need runners of all distances as well as shot & discus throwers. The first practice will be Monday at 3:30-4:30, a full practice schedule will be handed out then. Contact Coach Warren with questions at email@example.com
Indoor soccer for Middle School started this week. Practices are from 5-6p on Monday and Wednesday and 4:30-5:30 on Tuesday. Students who are involved with track can simply stay and put those running skills to work on the soccer field! Games & rallies will always be on Fridays and it’s not too late to join the team! Talk to Coach Warren with questions.
TONIGHT Thursday, 3/21!!! Please join us for a wrap up meeting at 7:30p pm in the Library. This is a great time for us to reflect on what went well and what we could do to improve next year’s gala. If you can’t join us in person you can always send written comments to firstname.lastname@example.org or conference call in ~ contact Mrs. Gore at lumenchristiak.com for details. We hope you can join us and share your thoughts!
Lenten Soup Lunches
Starting tomorrow, March 22nd, we’ll be on our “Friday Lent Schedule” which means dismissal 15 minutes later at 12:35p vs. normal 12:20p. Staff will also be providing (meatless) soup and bread for all students prior to dismissal!
Letterman Jacket Raffle
MONDAY, March 25th…LAST DAY TO BUY TIX!! Buy one ticket for $10 or six for $50 and try your luck in the LCHS Letterman Jacket Raffle! Generously donated by the Renfro family and supplied by TNT Sports, this full, customized leather jacket with all the bells and whistles has a value of nearly $400. You can view a sample jacket here: http://www.tntsportsalaska.com/new-page-5 Only 50 tickets will be sold.
Lunchtime Trivia Contest
Mrs. Brewer started “Lunchtime Trivia” (Lumen’s version of pub trivia) in her room at lunchtime. Encourage your students to get a team together and play for prizes which will be awarded both weekly and quarterly.
Two of our students working towards Confirmation are conducting a shoe drive for “Kicks for Kids,” a non-profit shoe recycling program. K4K partners with individuals, school districts, businesses and partners throughout Alaska to collect used shoes, then washes and re-distributes them back to schools for kids in need. Over 3,000 pair have been distributed in the past 3 years! Please send in used shoes of any size to support their efforts.
This year’s “A night in Hollywood” Prom is set for Saturday April 27th from 8pm to 11p. If you’re interested in helping out with set up and take down please email Mr. Palumbo at email@example.com or Anne Gore at firstname.lastname@example.org. Prom is open to students grades 10-12 and we could use as many hands as possible to make this a special night of lasting memories for our students (plus it’s a great way to receive Share Hours, for those parents who still need them!) Set up is from 10a – 1p and clean up is from 11p – 1a at Viking Hall, 8141 Briarwood Street.
National Honor Society Tutoring
The National Honor Society will be offering free after school tutoring every Wednesday from 2:30-3:30p. NHS members encourage any students with homework questions or who need help with math or writing assignments to stop in for additional help. This tutoring is offered in addition to what is available on Mondays in the Library.