In 1956, the Jesuits opened Copper Valley School (CVS) in Glenallen, Alaska. Although Copper Valley closed in 1971, the school’s alumni took the CVS traditions and revived the school in Anchorage as Lumen Christi Catholic High School.
In March 1996, board members, parents, and future students came together to gut and reconstruct a building to accommodate the first 33 students. Lumen Christi first opened in September 1996 on Fireweed in the Anchor building across from the Fireweed Theater. It opened with four teachers, a teaching principal, a secretary, and 33 students. However, for the first few months, the school met in the education center at the Holy Family Cathedral. At first, the school served grades 7-10, however, by 1998 Lumen had expanded to 11th and 12th grade. In 1999, the first senior class graduated with three students.
In 2000, the school was moved from Fireweed to Jewel Lake Road and the school became a ministry of St. Benedict Parish. A few years later, a new NBA-regulation-sized gym was added to the building.
For over 20 years, Lumen Christi has provided a rigorous Catholic education in a Christ-like environment. Small class sizes, high academic standards, peer mentoring, a strong faith education, extracurricular activities, and community service and leadership opportunities make Lumen Christi a perfect option for families looking for a different school environment.